Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stay

She wanted to be real with him. Honest. No bull. None of this superficiality.

None of this chit-chat because that's what social norm requires.

She knew he was deeper than he let on--by the way he spoke. He used the same voice she used when she was speaking to someone she didn't know yet, someone she didn't trust, someone who didn't care that her favorite color was gray or that she did weird things like yoga and meditating and feeling energy between her hands.

His was a careful voice, too nervous to be calculated. Insecure. Uncertain. Guarded--that's the word--Guarded. Just like hers, because she did weird things.

The truth is though, she'd stay for that voice. She second-guessed God for that voice. Not because of what it was, but because of what it could be. Not because of what it had said, but because of what it would say.

She just wanted him to trust her. She wanted him to use his real voice, the internal dialogue she knew he had. More than anything.

Because they had the same voice.

2 comments:

Cat said...

This made my heart fall into a small puddle at my shoes. I love this description and desperately want to experience that one day.
Your writing is powerful Paige.

Paige said...

It's hilarious that you say that, because I think this is the worst thing I've posted so far. I think it took me all of ten minutes. It's definitely in my top 3 of everything I've posted though.