Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wary

I know now why I am wary of you,
why I'm careful about what I say and do:

It's because I'm afraid to leave pieces of
myself with someone else--

pieces, like old photographs, they stuff in a box
and put on a shelf.

I'm afraid of having no part of you
to carry with me when we're gone;

or that I may have too much with me,
that the missing may be long.

I'm afraid I may get used to seeing you
at the same times every day, 

so much that I cannot move on
when you've gone away. 

I've put my heart too much in you--
I've stitched yours in with mine.

I fear the parting hole won't heal--
no needle and thread with time.

So I try to cut my ties with you
before they're strongly made; 

I'll pretend it never happened,
force the memories to fade. 

I try and want and cannot do
--that I'm still wary is true-- 
but it is because I find I care too much for you. 



 

1 comment:

Cat said...

You are beautiful.