Saturday, December 12, 2009

Wild Grapes

What I wouldn't do for you--

Tender, sweet young vines of promise,
I blistered my hands under a burning sun when I built
your fences.

I exhausted every muscle when I constructed the watch tower
to keep my eyes on your delicate fruit
and I gave up the peace of the night to keep you safe


I broke my back and bruised my knees when I dug the soil 
at your base 

It pained my heart when I made the wine press
even though I knew you were made to be crushed between two stones
so you could become what I'd planted you to be. 

I cared more for you.  .  .

Yet you synthesized the sun for your spoil,
and took ravages from the soil;
favoring foul waters you 
spurned the sweet fountain

despite everything I did for you...
and I didn't know, couldn't know...

until I tasted your sour, wild grapes,

whose harsh acid I still taste on my tongue,
whose bitter flavor still makes me cry, and
whose smooth, firm skin still deceives my eye

I loved you,
but can do nothing with wild grapes.

No comments: